Rosie has been ill since Wednesday evening. She was very subdued going to bed that night, lethargic and very shuffly. Yesterday morning she was in very poor shape, having difficulty walking, not eating or drinking and unable to stand for long. I was convinced she was dying. I went to work in terrible form, convinced she wasn’t going to make it through the day. I was that convinced I didn’t want to take her to the vet, that she would simply be put to sleep. She was showing no signs of pain or distress so I wanted her made comfortable and be allowed to die at home. I was convinced she had either cancer or heart failure and that nothing could be done.
All through the day she was no worse nor better and yesterday evening she was showing some small signs of improvement. This morning she was still with us but showing signs of a discharge from her rear end. I contacted the vet who thought it sounded like a womb infection. This was confirmed by scan and after antibiotics and fluids she had emergency neuter surgery this afternoon.
She’s still not out of the woods, she has a lot of toxins in her system and she may yet succumb to shock from the surgery as she’s no longer a young dog. However, the vet was reasonably positive this evening and will decide in the morning if she is well enough to come home or if she needs further observation over the weekend.
Here the house feels very empty. She’s a big part of our family and constantly with us about the house. Tonight she’s missing and it’s painfully noticeable. Hopefully she has a good night and strong enough to come home tomorrow and we will be a full family again 🤞